If you’re a low-carb dieter, but still enjoy an occasional alcoholic beverage, don’t surrender to the thought of missing out on the fun. There is a wide variety of alcoholic drinks that fit any lifestyle, including a low-carb one. Let us introduce you to the best alcoholic drinks for the low-carb lover.
1. Sipping in Style: Low-Carb Alcoholic Alternatives
Some evening venues are no-alcohol zones, and thus, you might think adult beverages are out of the question. But what if you want to enjoy a tasty drink or two without all the sugary flavor and carbs? Don’t worry, there are plenty of no-carb alcoholic alternatives that will have you sipping in style.
Rum and vodka-based drinks are a great choice for low-carb imbibers. Upgrade your daiquiri by removing the simple syrup, mix up a vodka tonic with soda water, and a squeeze of lime, or enjoy a refreshing lime and rum-based mojito. No matter which drink you choose, you won’t be sacrificing anything in terms of flavor.
If whiskey, gin, and tequila are more your speed, then consider these low-carb alternatives:
- Whiskey sours—use club soda as the mixer, and leave out the single syrup.
- Orange or grapefruit juice gin martinis—only use a splash of crystalised.
- Tequila on the rocks—skip out on the sugary mixers, and take your tequila clean.
Remember to drink in moderation as these alcoholic drinks can still contain carbs and calories; and, don’t forget to stay hydrated to reduce the risk of a hangover.
2. Go Dry, Not Boring: Refreshing Low-Carb Drinks
Swap out the sugary sodas and diluted fruit juices for some exciting alternatives that are not only low in carbs but also provide some extra health benefits. Here are some of our top recommendations:
- Kombucha: The fermented powerhouse is full of gut-friendly healthy bacteria and probiotics. Its slightly tart, slightly sweet taste is perfect for a summer afternoon.
- Mocktails: Try making mocktails by adding a few drops of lime juice to plain sparkling water. For an extra treat, add some sliced fruit for an added refreshing twist.
- Smoothies: Whether you like them thick or thin, smoothies are the perfect way to get your daily dose of vitamins and minerals. Add some greens and a few low-carb fruits to your smoothies if you’re watching your carb count.
Herbal Teas: Herbal teas are a great way to stay hydrated while getting a healthy dose of antioxidants. Try brewing a cup of iced green tea with some lemon and honey for a delicious summer drink.
Drinking low-carb drinks does not have to be boring. Make sure to mix it up and try out different options to get the most out of every glass. When you find the perfect combination for you, the possibilities are endless!
3. Making Smart Choices: Low-Carb Alcohol-Tasting Reviews
When you are looking to put a new twist on your next happy hour, why not explore low-carb alcohol-tasting options? With so many options, it’s important to make smart choices. Here are helpful reviews of some popular low-carb alcohol-tasting drinks:
Vodka Soda – This classic is a timeless favorite for those wanting to watch their calorie count. Not only is it carb-less, it’s also a great way to enjoy some spirits without high sugar content.
Gin and Grapefruit – It’s become one of the most popular low-carb drinks of the last few years, and for good reason. Tangy and sweet, this gin and grapefruit drink is a great way to get your alcohol with no carbs.
Tequila and Lime – If you love margaritas, give this low-carb version a try. Tequila and lime on the rocks is a perfect way to enjoy Mexican flavors without the extra calories or carbs. Here are some other popular and tasty low-carb alcohol-tasting options to explore:
- Whiskey and Orange Soda
- Vodka and Cranberry
- Rum and Diet Cola
- Low-Carb Beer
By tastefully exploring low-carb options, you can have a great time while staying mindful of your health in the process.
4. Better Drinking Habits: Picking Low-Carb Beverages
If you’re trying to reduce your carb intake, it can be daunting to find the right beverage. Fortunately, there are plenty of low-carb options available, so you don’t have to go thirsty. Here are some of the beverages you should consider:
- Unsweetened Tea – Green, black, and herbal teas are all good choices and offer different health benefits.
- Flavored Water – Often lightly flavored with fruit, botanicals, and spices, flavored waters are an easy way to quench your thirst without piling on the carbs.
- Club Sodas – Laden with flavoring and carbonation, club sodas are a great alternative to sugary soda.
Sparkling Water – A great substitution for soda, sparkling water has all the bubbles but none of the added sugar of typical soda. Many people find it more satisfying than regular water.
It’s important to look at the label when you’re buying these beverages, as some types may contain added sugars or sweeteners. Once you know what to look for, it’s easy to make the switch to healthier, low-carb drinks.
5. Keeping it Healthy: Suggested Low-Carb Cocktails
Sticking to a low-carb diet doesn’t have to mean giving up cocktails altogether. There are plenty of delicious and inventive cocktails you can enjoy without feeling guilty. Here are some of our favorites:
- Vodka Soda: Vodka and soda water is a classic combination with fewer than 3 calories per ounce. Simply add some lemon and lime slices to serve on the rocks.
- Aperol Spritz: The Italian version of a spritzer, this one is made with Aperol, seltzer, and a splash of orange juice.
- Moscow Mule: This classic twist on the favorite features ginger beer, vodka, lime juice, and a few sprigs of mint for garnish.
These low-carb cocktails are the perfect way to enjoy a drink without going over your daily carb allowance. So, next time you’re in the mood for something a little different, why not give one of these a try?
Another great way to make sure your cocktail is low-carb is to use sugar-free syrups, such as sugar-free simple syrup or agave nectar. These can help you make drinks with fewer calories and carbs and still maintain that great flavor. So why not give it a try?
6. Drinking Mindfully: Tips for Enjoying Low-Carb Boozing
It’s no secret that alcohol can quickly and easily derail any healthy diet plan. However, just because you’re aiming to go low-carb doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice a good time. Here are some top tips for enjoying a few cold ones without the guilt.
Go Clear. Many beverages on the market are filled with sugar. So when you’re looking to keep your carb levels low, stay away from beer and other sugary drinks. Stick with the purest option: vodka, tequila, gin and rum are all carb-free choices.
Explore Cocktails. A martini, mojito or caipirinha may not sound low-cal at first, but with a few tweaks, you can still experiment with craft cocktail options. For instance, switch syrups for 0-calorie sweeteners, go for lighter mixers (think sparkling water, low-sugar juices or diet soda). Don’t forget to invest in some quality spirits to make the most out of your mindful drinking experience.
Last but not least, here is a list of dos and don’ts to help you stay on the mindful-drinking track:
- Do pace yourself: Sip slowly on your drinks and eat light snacks between sips.
- Don’t forget the water: Keep yourself hydrated by alternating alcoholic beverages with glasses of water.
- Do stick to a plan: Set a limit on the number of drinks you would like for the evening.
- Don’t overdo it: An occasional drink is fine, but drinking for the sake of drinking is not the answer.
Remember, if you ever feel like you’ve lost control, seek help and guidance from a nearest medical health professional.
From gin to vodka, there’s a low-carb alcoholic drink ideal for any occasion. So whether you’re having a night out, or enjoying a relaxed night in, indulge in the low-carb delights of the wide range of beverages available while still keeping healthy. Cheers!